Monday, August 19, 2013

Leibster Award

Just before I left for a vacation with friends, I discovered at I had been nominated for the Liebster Award for new blogs. Although flattered, I am a natural skeptic, so of course, I had to check it out! It turns out that I was "found" by fellow blogger Lori who blogs about Life in Room 24. The Leibster Award is a way for new, up and coming bloggers to be recognized by their peers, sort of a pay it forward plan for bloggers.

1. Thanks for the pat on the back to Lori @Life in Room 24...I appreciate the recognition and encouragement!
 
2. Here a my answers to the questions posed by Lori:
      1. What three "must haves" are in your possession when you travel? My camera because there are always great photo opps that can become new art projects, my iPad to stay in touch with friends and family, and packets of Starbucks instant coffee in case I'm staying somewhere without Starbucks nearby...heaven forbid!
       2. What reality TV show would you like to be on? Project Runway, even though I have very little sewing experience and absolutely no idea how to create clothing from scratch! 
       3. What piece of advice would you give a first year teacher? Take care of yourself...get enough sleep, eat nutritious foods, and get some exercise every day. You can't be your best self unless you stay emotionally and physically healthy.
       4. If your life had a theme song, what would it be? Daydream Believer, because I am one!
       5. Who was your favorite elementary teacher and why? I don't remember much about elementary school, but I LOVED my high school art and college prep English teachers. Both of them encouraged me to think and work outside the box and pushed me to excel.
       6. You find a Genie's lamp. What are your three wishes? To live to see my grandsons grow to adulthood, to retire before I'm too old to enjoy it, to see the Sistine Chapel and marvel at Michelangelo's talent.
        7. Who has had the biggest influence on who you are as a teacher? I can't say it is a single person. I have been blessed to have friends and colleagues who are amazing teachers and who have a talent for bringing out the best in everyone they work with.
        8. Which room in your house is your favorite? My newly remodeled kitchen...with the dishwasher I never had in 37 years of home ownership.
        9. Which would you rather do: sit on the beach or hike in the mountains? Hike on the beach at sunset.
        10. Describe yourself in just three words. Creative, determined, successful
        11. Assuming you had time for a new hobby, what would it be? Playing the piano..I never had the opportunity to take music lessons as a kid and wish I had.

3. Here are 11 random facts about myself:
 1. I have been at the same school since 1977.
 2. I leave my driveway to go to school and never have to turn a corner until I arrive at the school. My house and my school are on the same road, about five miles apart.
3. I have been a classroom teacher, assistant principal, and now art teacher, all at the same school.
4. I am the oldest of eight children, but I only have one daughter.
5. I can't carry a tune in a bag, so I only sing in the car when I'm driving by myself. 
6. I talk out loud when working by myself, which can really throw off a student who enters my room during a planning period!
7. I like to cook and often experiment with recipes to make them my own. Not always with stellar results!
8. When I retire, I want a beach house on Lake Ontario for the summer and one on the Gulf of Mexico for the winter.
9. I think "grandma" sounds old, so my grandsons call me "Mimi".
10. I have been married to their "Papa" for 40 years.
11. We have been living in our "starter home" for 36 years...see why I want a beach house?
 
4. In return, I am nominating the following five bloggers for the Liebster Award:
      Blessings of a Teacher by Paulina Tawii, a grade 5 teacher who loves literature and writing as much as I do.
      Techie Teacher Thoughts by Eva Harwell because I am always looking for new tech tips from people who know more than I do, which is pretty much everyone!
       Art Lesson Launchpad for the great photo illustrations of projects.
       Pipe Cleaners, Paper Cuts and Picasso with Stephanie Cline who has some awesome art projects going on!
       Dream, Pray, Create by Andrea Ellwood, an eclectic mix of career, art, and faith. Andrea has been blogging since 2010 and deserves a shout out!
 
5. Here are my questions for my Liebster Award nominees:
1. Who is your favorite artist from the past and why?
2. If you could live at any time in history, what era would you choose?
3. What technology device would you hate to give up most?
4. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose to be?
5. What is your favorite memory from your life at the age of the students you teach?
6. What is the last movie you saw in an actual movie theater?
7. If you were a game show host, what show would you emcee?
8. Chili with meat or chili with beans?
9. What is the color of your favorite room in your house?
10. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
11. What is your superpower when you aren't teaching?

Check out a few of these blogs! There are so many amazing teachers out there and the school year is just beginning for many of us. I hope yours is a good one!

Charmaine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment