Sunday, September 22, 2013

Dot Day with iPads

Although I've used "The Dot" in past years as an introduction to first grade art at the beginning of the year, this year was the first time I heard about International Dot Day. Since the official day was on a Sunday this year, and since I also only see my art students one day each week, I decided to just run with it and make September our "Dot Month" in the art room.

Now that I have nine iPads for use in the art room, I thought it would be fun to introduce them to my sixth graders right away with this simple group Dot Day project.











After sharing the book with the class, groups of four or five students spent the rest of the class period photographing examples of dots and dot shapes in the art room and using their images to create a photo collage using the PicCollage app.

It took a second art period for most groups to perfect their collages, adding backgrounds, borders, stickers, and text.




This was an easy introduction to using iPads in the art room for my students. Since many of them were already familiar with iPads, iPhones, and other similar technology, the students were able to help one another with using the camera, creating albums for saving photos, and making the most of the PicCollage app.

 
 We will be printing out the collages tomorrow and adding them to a Dot Day bulletin board background that was created by my second grade students. I'll post photos of that later this week!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. HI Charmaine
    I've seen a lot of Dot Day projects, but have NEVER seen an ipad project. Brilliant! Love all the different dots by grade. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rina! The students really enjoyed the project and now they're asking when they can do another. Right now, I'm trying out some new ideas with my seventh and eighth graders, but it's slow going with only nine iPads, so that post will be much later! Thanks for pinning...I'm still trying to figure out all those "pin it" and other buttons since I've only been blogging a few months, but I'm getting there. Charmaine

    ReplyDelete