Friday, July 12, 2013

Five Favorite Photo Apps...so far!

This past school year was my first with iPads in my art room. My first grade students were the first group to go 1:1 with iPads which they were able to bring to art class on several occasions. Later in the year, I finally was able to add nine iPads specifically for art room use.

Although my experience with iPads and apps in the classroom is recent and somewhat limited, I have found a few that seemed to resonate with my students at different grade levels.

Percolator with ArtDoodles lettering
1. Camera! Although the iPad camera is just fine, I like the way this app allows students to use the different grids and a level to compose their photographs. There are multiple special effects and a video option as well. Just enough for elementary students who are ready for a little more than point and shoot.

2. Percolator: My students loved the various effects created by "percolating" their photographs, especially photographs of their original art work. 

WordFoto with ArtDoodles app


WordFoto with Camera!
3. WordFoto: This app is an easy way to add descriptive words and phrases into artwork. The free version of the app has plenty of options, although in-app purchases can be made to add more variety.   

4. Halftone: Who can resist creating cartoons? With this app, students can add word balloons and captions to their photographs, just for the sheer delight of being silly, or to tell a story with their images. This example was a photo taken with my Canon camera which had been transferred to my iPad using the iPad Camera Connection Kit.

 
5. Pic Collage: This app is a simple format for students at the elementary level to create "collections" of their photographs. The free version is a bit limited in its collection of "stickers", but there are still enough options to make some very nice presentations.

This summer I am downloading and experimenting with several other photo editing apps, but have yet to find any that are as student-friendly as these five.

If you are using photo editing apps on your iPads, what are some of your favorites?
 





No comments:

Post a Comment